Foodie Friday: Cashew Nut Roast With Herb Stuffing
It doesn’t need to be a special occasion to make this savory nut roast. My mother makes it whenever I’m home, and the leftovers slice up well for sandwiches the next day.
For the roast:
1 cup vegan margarine (e.g., Nuttelex or Blue Bonnet brand’s light variety)
2 large onions, finely chopped
3 cups unroasted cashews
1 1/2 cups white bread (crusts removed)
3 large garlic cloves
1 cup water or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
Nutmeg, to taste
2 Tbsp. lemon juice, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C and line a greased 1-lb. loaf pan with a strip of greased nonstick parchment.
- Melt the margarine in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Remove from heat.
- Grind the cashews in a food processor with the bread and garlic and mix with the onion. Add the water or stock. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and lemon juice.
For the stuffing:
3 cups bread crumbs
1 cup margarine
2 small onions, grated
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. marjoram
3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together.
- Put half the cashew mixture into the prepared pan, top with the stuffing, and then spoon the rest of the nut mixture on top. Dot with margarine.
- Place the loaf pan on another pan to catch drippings and bake for about 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned (cover the roast with foil if it browns too quickly).
- Cool for a minute or two, then slide a knife around the sides, turn out the roast, and remove the parchment.
Makes 8 servings
Posted by Jason Baker