Foodie Friday: Hot and Spicy Black-Bean Dip
In honor of pigs, skip the sausage rolls or bacon-topped baked potatoes and indulge in this black-bean dip instead! It’s packed with protein and is great for serving at movie nights and F1 Sundays or as an appetizer at your next dinner party. The leftovers make a tasty sandwich spread.
2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. each, cumin, salt, and pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
4 large cloves garlic
1/4 cup green chilies, from jar or can
3/4 cup grated soy cheddar or mozzarella (optional)
Blue or yellow corn tortilla chips
• Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth, or about 1 minute.
• Transfer to an oiled baking crock or chafing dish insert.
• Top with soy cheese, if desired.
• Bake at 350°F until hot and the soy cheese (if using) is melted, or about 10 minutes.
• Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 6 servings (3 cups)
Posted by Jason Baker