Foodie Friday: Red-Pepper Pear Soup
Simple and nutritious, this soup is an absolute dream, combining the sweetness of red bell peppers with the unique sandy texture of pears and resulting in a wonderful silkiness that eschews the use of cream! Perfect for sick days or healthy days, this soup will be sure to have you smacking your lips in delight!
20 ml olive oil
80 ml soy margarine
8 large red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
3 shallots or 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced or diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 fresh pears, chopped
1.5–2 liters vegetable broth (miso broth also works well)
Dash cayenne pepper
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil and the margarine in a large pot on medium heat.
- Sauté the peppers, carrots, shallots, garlic, and pears for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the ingredients to a food processor or blender and purée.
- Garnish with fresh tarragon and add salt and pepper if desired.
Makes 8 servings
Posted by Jason Baker