Foodie Friday: Roasted Smashed Redskins With Garlic Aioli
For the potatoes:
16 (1 1/2″ diameter) or 8 (2 1/2″ diameter) redskin potatoes
2 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
Extra sea salt
- Put the potatoes into water with sea salt. Make sure the water covers the potatoes by 1 to 2 inches. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Continue cooking until just cooked through in the center (not overcooked), about 35 minutes.
- Drain in a colander for 3 minutes and pat dry with a folded towel.
- Place the potatoes on a flat baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Press down on each potato with a folded towel and the flat part of your hand.
- Top each potato with 1 teaspoonful of olive oil and sprinkle with paprika and salt.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 40 minutes. The potatoes are ready to serve when brown and crunchy on top. (Note that the potatoes can be prepared a day ahead and baked just before serving.)
- Serve with garlic aioli sauce.
Makes 4 servings
For the garlic aioli sauce:
1 whole head garlic, peeled
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp. lemon juice
Sea salt, to taste (start with 1/2 tsp.)
2-3 white potatoes, peeled, boiled, cooled, and chopped
- Using a food processor with a steel knife blade, finely chop the garlic.
- While the machine is still running, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
- Add lemon juice and sea salt.
- Add the potatoes into the food processor 2 to 3 tablespoonfuls at a time. Add more olive oil if needed.
Posted by Jason Baker