Foodie Friday: Sweet Cashew Crème
Cashew creams have been all the rage in the vegan world as of late, particularly since Chef Tal Ronnen showed Oprah and her 378 staffers how easy it is to go vegan using such substitutes. Cashew cream perfectly takes the place of cheese filling in pastry dishes or ravioli, and it is a delicious and nutritious alternative to dairy cream in soups. The recipe below is the sweet variant of what has now become a vegan staple. Use it instead of whipped cream on top of your next dessert.
Sweet Cashew Crème
2 cups raw cashew nuts
1 qt. white grape or apple juice
1/4 cup agave syrup, maple syrup, or palm sugar
1/4 cup canola, sunflower, or coconut oil
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring the nuts and juice to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cover the pan. Leave on top of the stove for 1 hour, or until slightly cool.
- Drain and reserve juice.
- Put the cashews in a blender with 1/4 cup reserved juice and the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add more soy milk or reserved juice to achieve your desired consistency. You will need to scrape the sides of the blender and purée the contents several times for a smooth consistency.
- For an even smoother consistency, strain through a fine mesh sieve after blending.
- Use within a week of refrigeration.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Posted by Jason Baker