Foodie Fridays: Strawberry Rhubarb Pandowdy
Do you know why it’s called a “pandowdy”? Because it’s made in a pan and is rather plain-looking or dowdy. This delicious dessert can be served hot or cold with your favourite vegan ice cream.
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp arrowroot
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 lbs or 900g fresh strawberries (stems removed and cut in half)
3 stalks fresh rhubarb (peel if stringy and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
1 apple (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
1 pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, arrowroot, cinnamon and extracts.
- Add the fruit and toss.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled 8-inch-by-8-inch or 12-inch oval baking dish, stopping 1 inch from the top.
- Top the mixture with the rolled-out pie crust and make slits on the top with a knife to release air. Fold any extra crust around the edges.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Use a large spoon to make cuts all over the crust. Continue to bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Makes 6 side servings
Posted by Jason Baker