Video: Puppy Is Tortured and Hanged by Laughing Soldiers in Taiwan
In a horrifying scene caught on camera, a helpless, months-old puppy named Xiao Bai desperately struggles for his life as he is hanged to death at the end of a chain. His abusers, a group of Taiwanese soldiers, can be heard laughing throughout the video.
[Warning: Graphic video]
After being ordered to kill the homeless pup, the soldiers took him to the beach, beat him, and tortured him to death. As the life slowly drained out of the young dog, a soldier can be heard in the video saying, “Xiao Bai (Little White), don’t be a stupid dog in your next life.”
The Taiwanese military has apologized and punished all the soldiers involved as well as their supervisors. The video has gone viral, and thousands of Facebook users have expressed anger and outrage over the plight of the helpless animal.
— The Straits Times (@STcom) June 28, 2016
Alarmingly, this is not the first time one of the soldiers has abused an animal. In another horrifying video, we see him, Hu Chia-wei, shoot a dog with an air rifle from an open window. He even speaks to the camera throughout this disgusting display of cruelty to animals.
Research in psychology and criminology shows that people who commit acts of cruelty to animals don’t stop there—many of them move on to their fellow humans.
Communities must recognize that the abuse of any living being is unacceptable and endangers everyone. With that in mind, please be sure to do the following:
- Urge your local law-enforcement agencies, prosecutors, and schools to take cruelty to animals seriously.
- Be aware of signs of neglect or abuse and immediately report suspected crimes to authorities.
- Don’t ignore even minor acts of cruelty. If you witness or suspect cruelty, report it.
Help Keep More Animals off the Streets
Animals who live on the streets can easily fall prey to dangerous people. Cruel people often poison, shoot, burn, drown, or otherwise torture and kill homeless animals. Here are a few crucial things that we can all do to stop others from enduring the same fate as Xiao Bai:
- Never buy animals from breeders or pet stores. Instead, visit your local animal shelter and give an animal a second chance at life.
- Always spay or neuter your dogs and cats. Not only is it better for them, it also saves countless lives.
- Be sure that you’re ready to make a lifetime commitment before adopting.