Foodie Friday: Silverbeet and Roasted Tomatoes
Silverbeet is a very well-known vegetable throughout the Mediterranean—and with good reason. This vegetable is extremely nutritious, with iron levels second only to spinach! It’s also packed full of folate and vitamins A, C, and E! The below is a fun, yet simple, way to prepare this leafy green.
6 cups salted water
1 bunch silverbeet (with large stems removed and leaves cut into 2 cm ribbons)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. dry chili pepper flakes
1/2 red or yellow capsicum pepper, cut into 1 cm pieces
1 1/2 cups roasted tomatoes (sun-dried tomatoes can be substituted)
1 cup canned cannellini or white beans, rinsed
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring the salted water to a boil.
- Add the silverbeet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the garlic and chili pepper flakes.
- Cook for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow pepper and tomatoes. Continue cooking for 3 more minutes.
- Add the silverbeat and continue cooking for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add the beans and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper, to taste.
Makes 4 side servings
Posted by Jason Baker