This recipe is super easy to make and very versatile. My mother serves it when she has dinner parties or when I’m home and craving comfort food. It can be served at room temperature, so it makes a great packed lunch—although it’s always hard to save any leftovers!
For the Pasta:
1 lb. pasta, any small or medium variety
4-5 cups of any grilled vegetables (I like to use eggplant, zucchini, assorted peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions)
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley (optional)
2 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Cook the pasta in salt water according to the directions and drain
- Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
For the Sauce:
6 Tbsp. olive oil
4 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 fresh lemon
1 cup good-quality vegetable broth (canned or homemade)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan until it starts to make a crackling sound.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients.
- Continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Toss to coat the pasta mixture.
For the Cashew Topping (Optional):
2 cups cashews
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic reduction
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. or more of cumin powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
- Toss all the ingredients (except the salt and sugar) with the cashews.
- Spread out on an oil-sprayed baking pan.
- Sprinkle with the salt and sugar.
- Roast in the oven approximately 18 minutes or until the nuts begins to brown.
- Let cool and then toss with the pasta mixture.
Makes 4 servings
Posted by Jason Baker