1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup and 1 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups rhubarb (about 5-6 stalks), chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
550 g. fresh strawberries, sliced and with the stemmed removed
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla or 1/2 tsp. almond extract
Any vegetable oil spray
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
3/4 cup quick oatmeal
3/4 cup vegan dry yellow cake mix
3/4 cup pecans, chopped or whole
- Mix the cornstarch and the sugar together.
- Add the rhubarb and the strawberries.
- Toss together.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and the vanilla.
- Pour into a spray-oiled casserole dish.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients with a spoon and then with your hands to make a crumble. Do not mix too long or too much.
- Spread the crumble with your hands over the rhubarb filling, making sure it is somewhat crumbly, not smooth.
- Cover with a piece of foil and bake at 175°C for 45 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.
- Remove the foil and continue baking until the top begins to brown and you can see strawberry filling bubbling up to the surface of the topping (approximately another 8 to 10 minutes).
- White or brown sugar can be used.
- Any type of nut, such as walnuts, almonds, or macadamia nuts, can be used instead of pecans.
- Instead of balsamic vinegar, you can use 2 tablespoons grated orange rind.
- Substitute white cake mix instead of yellow for a different taste.
Makes 4 servings
Posted by Jason Baker