Indonesian sate has got to be one of the most delicious snacks out there! Whether you use assorted vegetables or firm tofu, the lip-smacking taste of roasted peanuts will blend effortlessly with your skewered selections. Don’t believe me? Go on―try it!
1 1/2 cups vegetables, tofu, seitan, or wheat gluten
1 cup roasted and salted peanuts
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 1/2 Tbsp. palm sugar or agave syrup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Thread the vegetables , tofu, seitan, or wheat gluten onto wooden skewers. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine all the remaining ingredients and blend until somewhat smooth. You may need to scrape the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula and repeat the process a few times.
- On an oiled pan, arrange the kebabs so that the skewers do not overlap.
- Brush each with 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls of the peanut mixture. Marinate for 6 to 8 hours in the refrigerator (the longer, the better).
- Broil in the oven or grill on a barbecue until golden brown all over.
- Serve immediately with your favorite rice.
- For an optional garnish, thread some pineapple chunks onto a skewer, brush with oil to caramelize, and grill.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Posted by Jason Baker