Foodie Friday: Red Lentil Coconut Casserole
Casseroles are usually hearty, filling meals, and this one is no exception. Give this exceptionally flavorful dish a try on a cool evening to warm you up!
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
1 Tbsp. ginger, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
1 400-ml. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
1 red or green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 head cauliflower or broccoli, cut into small florets
1 tomato, cut into coarse pieces
1 cup frozen peas or frozen okra
1 1/4 cups diced potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Cook the onion in a skillet with the oil on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the ginger and the garlic and continue cooking for 1 more minute.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and jalapeño. Then continue cooking for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, the lentils, the peppers, the potatoes, and the broccoli or the cauliflower, and then simmer while covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the peas or okra and the tomatoes and cook until the peas or okra is tender.
- Serve with jasmine or basmati rice. Garnish with fresh lime wedges and coarsely chopped cilantro if desired.
Makes 4 entrée servings or 8 side-dish servings
Note: If the mixture is too thick, add more broth or water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried red curry for a spicier dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter for a nuttier flavor.
Posted by Jason Baker