Foodie Fridays: Red Onion Marmalade
This exotic “marmalade” is great spread on sandwiches and veggie burgers. If you’re feeling adventurous, try tossing it with pasta and veggies or spreading it on pizza.
4 red onions, cut lengthwise into thin crescents
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 orange
1/2 tsp. orange zest (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cranberries or 1Tbsp. dried cranberries
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
- In a large sauté pan, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook until all liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook, stirring often, until caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later use.
Makes 2 1/2 cups
Posted by Jason Baker