Homemade Halloween Dog Treat Recipe
Happy Halloween! It’s the season for all things pumpkin. Before you get to work on carving the scariest looking jack-o’-lantern, use a large serving spoon to scrape out the inside of your pumpkin—and use it in this homemade dog treat recipe so that your dog can also enjoy the holiday. You won’t need to use the seeds for this recipe, but you can roast them for a healthy snack for yourself.
In appropriate amounts, pumpkin is a miracle food for dogs. It helps ease digestive issues and is loaded with healthy fiber. Here’s the best pumpkin treat recipe for the dog in your life.
Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Halloween Dog Treats
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup pumpkin purée (be sure to use real pumpkin)
1/4 cup unsalted and unsweetened peanut butter
1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and ground cinnamon.
- Mix in the pumpkin and peanut butter, then slowly add the water. If the dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour. If it’s too dry, add a small amount of water.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface and use a knife or cookie cutter to cut out whatever treat shapes you desire.
- Place the treats 1/2 inch apart on a nonstick baking pan or one lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the treats cool and then let your dog have a taste!
Makes approximately 25 treats