Among veteran vegans, there’s one dessert that is a standby, no-fail, easy-as-pie, in-a-pinch recipe: chocolate mousse with a silken-tofu base. Many people balk at the thought of tofu in a dessert, but it’s the secret ingredient in this ultra-smooth, super-creamy sweet treat.
2 packages silken tofu (firm)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar or other sweetener
1 Tbsp. strong coffee (cooled) or Kahlúa
Chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or cookie crumbs for topping (optional)
- In a food processor or a blender, whip the tofu until smooth.
- Combine the cocoa powder, vanilla, sweetener, and coffee in a bowl and stir until smooth.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the tofu and continue blending for 1 minute.
- Pour into premade custard cups or shot glasses and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Garnish with the chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or cookie crumbs, if desired.
- For raspberry or strawberry mousse: Replace the cocoa powder with 1 to 2 cups of clean, fresh raspberries or strawberries and omit the coffee.
- For butterscotch mousse: Replace the cocoa powder with 1 cup of melted vegan butterscotch chips and omit the coffee.
Makes 8 servings
Posted by Jason Baker