Recipe: Easy Empanadas
For the filling:
1/2 capsicum (red pepper), chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. oil
1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
3/4 cup soy chorizo, plus 1/2 tsp. spicy red chili powder
2 cups vegetarian sausage
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 large cooked potato, cooled and diced
1/2 to 3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cumin
- Sauté the capsicum and the onion in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Continue cooking 4 to 5 more minutes and stir to prevent sticking.
- Let cool.
For the crust:
2 pkg. (2 sheets per 480-g package) frozen puff-pastry sheets cut into 2- to 3-inch rounds (You can also use homemade pie crust.)
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoonfuls of filling to each round.
- Fold the dough over and pinch the edges or use a fork to make a decorative edge.
- Bake on an oiled baking sheet at 375°F until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Makes 36 to 48 servings
Posted by Jason Baker