Maybe because this dish is so easy or maybe because it’s so tasty, I had a lot of fun making it. This entrée is hearty and healthy, and I’ll be sure to whip it up more often!
Eggplant With Black-Bean Garlic Sauce
1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
Sea salt, to taste
2 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup black-bean garlic sauce
1 Tbsp. sugar
60 ml vegetable broth or plain water
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
• Put the eggplant cubes in a strainer over the sink and generously sprinkle with the sea salt. Let sit for 40 to 60 minutes (this will remove some of the bitter liquid from the eggplant).
• Rinse the eggplant and pat dry.
• Sauté the eggplant in a large frying pan or wok until it begins to brown and is soft to the touch.
• Add the black-bean garlic sauce and 1/2 tablespoonful of sugar and continue cooking for approximately 2 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the wok and place on a serving platter or dinner plate.
• Add the vegetable broth or water and the remaining sugar to the empty pan. Shake the mixture and scrape the pan with a spoon to remove any leftover black-bean garlic sauce.
• Cook the mixture for a few minutes or until it begins to thicken.
• Pour the mixture over the eggplant and garnish with the sesame seeds. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings
Posted by Jason Baker