For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
4 1/2 cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1/8 cup vanilla extract
3 cups strongly brewed coffee or instant coffee
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until just combined. Slowly add the coffee, mixing for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Mix again until very smooth.
- Add the vinegar and mix for 1 minute.
- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
Oreo Crumble Icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup dairy-free margarine (e.g., Nuttelex or Blue Bonnet light variety)
1 tsp. vanilla
3–6 Tbsp. soy milk (more, if needed, to thin the icing)
10–15 crumbled Oreo cookies
18 halved Oreo cookies
- Using a hand mixer, combine the sugar, margarine, and vanilla. Mix in the soy milk.
- Stir in the crumbled Oreos.
- Top each cooled cupcake with 1 Tbsp. of icing and garnish with half an Oreo cookie.
Makes 36 servings
Posted by Jason Baker