Recipe: Stick Barbecue
Inspired by the traditional Filipino stick barbecue, this tangy tofu variation is a tasty (and heart-healthy) spin on the classic! This flavorful marinade pairs perfectly with rice or bread.
4 bamboo skewers
4 50-g pieces firm tofu
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. vinegar, calamansi juice, or lemon juice
1/2 cup unrefined or brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
• Prepare the bamboo skewers by removing any splinters and soaking in water to reduce burning during barbecuing.
• Cut the tofu into cubes and slide onto the skewers. Set the skewers side by side on a plate. For a meatier texture, freeze the tofu first and then thaw before cooking, which will release a lot of the water.
• In a bowl, create a marinade by mixing together all the other ingredients.
• Spread the marinade over the skewers, cover, and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
• Barbecue over live charcoal or on the stove in a large nonstick pan. Turn every few minutes and baste with the remaining marinade until cooked (about 10 minutes).
Makes 4 skewers
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 30 minutes
Barbecue time: 10 minutes
Posted by Jason Baker