Recipe: Barbecue-Grilled Tofu and Yellow Rice
Better than hot dogs or hamburgers (unless they’re faux dogs or veggie burgers, that is), barbecue-grilled tofu is a wonderful summertime meal. The next time you’re gathering ’round the barbie with friends and family, try this sweet and tangy delight. It’s sure to be a hit at your next pool party or football match.
15 g ginger, grated
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 large onions, chopped
Vegetable oil (for cooking)
40 ml chili sauce (we recommend Sambal)
500 ml vegan hoisin sauce
300 g tomatoes, diced
250 ml lime juice
2-3 pieces firm tofu
300 g rice (brown, jasmine, or basmati rice work best)
500 ml water
1 yellow onion, diced
3 g yellow spice (yellow curry, saffron, or turmeric)
3 g sea salt
- Sauté the ginger, garlic, and onions in oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili and hoisin sauces, tomatoes, and lime juice. Continue cooking another 10 minutes or until somewhat reduced in volume. Blend with a blender wand or blender until smooth. Let cool.
- Pour over the firm tofu until the tofu is covered.
- Marinate at least 4 hours. You can reserve the remaining sauce for another dish. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least 1 week.
- In a separate pan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rice, onions, spice, and sea salt. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and let simmer until the rice is tender.
- Serve fresh. The tofu is best if eaten immediately after cooking!
Makes 4 servings
Posted by Jason Baker