Vegan Yakisoba Topped with Veggie-Filled Okonomiyaki (Japanese Savory Pancakes)
Adapted from MamaInTheKitchen.com
1 8-10-oz. pkg. yakisoba noodles or buckwheat ramen noodles
1/2 cup water
1 onion, sliced
8 oz. coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
Vegan Tonkatsu Sauce (recipe below)
Veggie-Filled Okonomiyaki (recipe below)
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions, then drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Add the water to a large pan. Add the onion and sauté until softened. Add the coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage and sauté until softened. Add the noodles and half of the Vegan Tonkatsu Sauce or more, to taste. Mix well. Cook until heated through, then remove from the heat.
- Place some of the noodles on a plate and top with two Veggie-Filled Okonomiyaki. Drizzle with some of the Vegan Tonkatsu Sauce.
Tip: You can also use vegan mayonnaise, nori flakes, or sliced green onions as a garnish.
Makes 4 servings
Vegan Tonkatsu Sauce
3 Tbsp. unrefined sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup soy sauce
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
Makes about 1½ cups
2 cups chickpea flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. unrefined sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
2 cups water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1 white or sweet potato or yam, grated
1–2 large heads romaine lettuce, shredded
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and nutritional yeast together in a bowl.
- Add the water and whisk together.
- Add the bread crumbs, green onions, potato, and lettuce. Mix well. If there is too much liquid, add more bread crumbs. Using your hands, form the mixture into eight patties.
- Gently place 4 patties in a greased nonstick pan and cook over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until crispy. Flip and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. When both sides are crispy, flip once more, then cover with a lid and steam for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining patties.
Makes 8 okonomiyaki