Is the Easter bunny on his way to your house? Tell him to leave the eggs where they belong—with hens!
Have you ever cracked open an egg and found blood inside? That remnant of a broken blood vessel is just a little reminder that eggs come from a hen’s reproductive tract. That’s right—eggs are chicken periods! Every time you eat one—scrambled, boiled, poached, or in a cake—you’re eating a chicken’s unfertilized reproductive cycle.
Millions of egg-laying hens are tortured and killed each year for eggs. The birds are crammed into cramped cages that are so small the hens can barely stretch a wing. After about two years of this hellish existence, most hens are “spent” and are sent to slaughter.
As if death and periods aren’t disgusting enough, eggs are loaded with cholesterol, which studies have shown contributes to type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and strokes.
So this Easter and every day, make the compassionate choice never to eat eggs. Veganize your favorite recipes with these easy tips.
- 1 tsp. baking powder + 1 tsp. vinegar = 1 egg
- 1 banana = 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds + 3 Tbsp. water whisked together until frothy = 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch + 2 Tbsp. water mixed well = 1 egg
Egg Replacers in Quiche, Tortillas, and Flan and Other Custards
- 1/4 cup puréed soft tofu = 1 egg
- Tofu is also a great substitute for eggs in eggless egg salad, omelets, and breakfast scrambles!
Posted by Edwina Baier