Life can be crazy. When you get home from a long day at work or school, the last thing you want to do is cook a complicated meal. Sometimes, there is barely time to eat—or even sleep. While I can’t help you get more sleep, I can share a few of my favorite vegan snacks that can be made in minutes. And some of these quick recipes can easily be converted into meals. Get ready for some tasty treats!
Sweet-and-Spicy Tofu Bites
2 Tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
1 pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook until brown on all sides.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, sugar, liquid aminos, vinegar, and pepper flakes and whisk until well combined. Pour over the tofu and stir, then simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve on toothpicks for a snack or with a side of rice for a meal!
Makes 4 servings
1 avocado, pitted and peeled
1 small tomato, chopped
1/3 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 hot chili pepper, sliced (optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Lime juice, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Serve with carrots or tortilla chips. This dish is also a must for Mexican food night!
Makes 2 servings
Chocolate–Peanut Butter Smoothie
1 cup almond, soy, or rice milk
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vegan chocolate chips or crushed chocolate bar
1/2 Tbsp. peanut butter
1/4 Tbsp. agave nectar (optional)
2–3 ice cubes
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
Makes 1 serving
Posted by Edwina Baier