Recipe: Apricot Oatmeal Bars
While we all know that there are plenty of tasty vegan snacks out there, it’s hard to tote bruschetta or tofu curry when you’re hiking up a mountain or running along your favorite trail. Take these delicious bars instead. They are both nutritious and portable—which means you’ll always have an energy source close at hand!
Apricot Oatmeal Bars
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup dairy-free margarine, melted
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups oats
1 1/2 cup of vegan apricot jam or preserves
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
3/4 cup dried fruit, optional
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, dairy-free margarine, baking powder, and oats until crumbly.
- Spread 2/3 of the mixture onto a greased baking sheet and pat down gently.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes at 350ºF.
- Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before adding the jam and optional nuts and fruit.
- Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture. Pat down and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Cut into bars. Serve while still warm or store in the refrigerator.
Makes 10 to 12 bars
Posted by Jason Baker