Recipe: Peach Galette
In China, the peach is a symbol of good luck and longevity. In my home, peaches are just too delicious to last long in the fruit bowl. This pastry is a great way to highlight peaches’ sweet flavor and juiciness.
5 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
6 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. lemon or lime juice
1 Tbsp. amaretto liqueur (optional)
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3 Tbsp. toasted almond slivers
10 sheets filo pastry (check pkg. to make sure it’s vegan)
Vegetable or soy margarine (try Earth Balance or Nuttelex)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the filo and margarine.
- In a pie pan that has been sprayed with oil, layer the filo sheets. With a pastry brush, spread margarine on each sheet, allowing some filo to hang over the edge of the pie plate.
- When all the filo has been used, spread the peach mixture over the top sheets. Cover the peaches with the overhanging filo, creating a top crust. However, it should not cover the peach mixture completely. Poke a couple of holes in the top of the pastry to allow excess steam to escape.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- This dish is delicious served hot or cold, and a big scoop of vegan coconut ice cream tops it off nicely!
Makes 6 servings
Posted by Jason Baker